Friday, July 17, 2009

Fit for a Nawab- Taj Lucknow















Dates of visit: June 1-2, 2009
Rating: 4/5

Driving from the airport I notice the large dome atop a white building from a distance. As I come closer, the structure seems even grander. Built colonial style, the property is only three storeys high but sprawling. Spread are landscaped gardens with palm(?) trees and a pool shaped like a lotus.

As I enter the lobby, I am struck with the feeling of spaciousness. Tucked into corners are cane chairs with plump cushions, portraits of nawabs, water colors of war scenes and bric-a-brac. I move to the lobby requesting for my room. Of course it is ready and waiting!

Done up in a combination of pastel green and pink it is appealing at once. It has everything for a comfortable stay, yet, the feeling of space follows. Hmmm...I like this place.

But, it is late and dinner is a calling and head to the "Oudhyana" the in-house restaurant serving Awadh cuisine which was nice but not exactly in line with my expectations. Before heading for work the next day, I managed a quick breakfast at its coffee shop. Again; nice but not great.

The Taj Lucknow is a beautiful property and a good choice for a relaxed stay. The staff and the service were great throughout- be it the travel desk, reception or the restaurant. I look forward to my next visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment