Saturday, October 31, 2009

Mangaldas ni haveli- Ahemdabad


The car drove through old Ahmedabad; a cobweb of streets crammed with shops, kiosks, cows and people. I was headed to Mangaldas ni Haveli- a 200 year old heritage home turned into a restaurant. It was glittering with lights. I entered into a courtyard, complete with a tulsi plant in center. Many doors led to multiple rooms, now converted into kitchens.


The attendants showed me a well tucked into a corner. It is 40 feet deep and collects water from the terrace during rains. A narrow staircase led me to a room which now displays traditional clothes and artifacts for sale. I climb more and come to the eating area. There are both a/c and open seating options. I choose to sit outside-surrounded by grand pillars and painted ceilings. The lanterns and the pleasant breeze add to the charm. They serve Gujarati as well as North Indian food. I opted for the Gujarati platter- bajra roti, a number of vegetable servings, chutneys and kadi and of course srikhand. The food and the surroundings took me back in time. A time when people enjoyed their simple evening meals unhurried under a starlit skies and cool air.


For details visit houseofmg.com

No comments:

Post a Comment